The Southern villagers in countryside areas usually have fried fish in the field. They use a bamboo piece to cross through the fish. Pitch the head side to ground, pile up rice straws at the wind-swept place to smoke fish.
As serving, use hand to remove the burned fish scabs. Fish will become as white as chicken. Place the hot fish on a lotus leaf, take up each piece of fish and dip it in peppery salt, squeeze with some lemon drops, roll in fig leaf or sesame young shoot to experience the dish. Bowl and chopsticks are not necessary. At home, the dish can be served with dry pancake, soft noodle soup and vegetables. Ca nuong trui is a dish that accompanies drinking. It is popular and exciting.
Recipes of Ca Nuong Trui Chay (Bare fried vegetable fish)
2 packages frozen vegetarian fish (white color or in seaweed sheet, available at health food stores), thawed
1 Tablespoon butter or margarine
Crushed roasted peanuts (to sprinkle over fish for flavor, the amount is optional)
Spring roll wrapper (rice paper wrapper, prefer “Rose” brand)*
1 head Romaine lettuce, washed
1 bunch Chinese chives*, washed
1 bunch cilantro, washed
1 bunch laksa leaves*, washed
1 bunch fresh mints*, washed
Soya bean curd sauce ingredients:
1 Tablespoon olive oil
4 oz or 3 stalks lemongrass*, minced
1 can (8 oz.) crushed pineapple
1 bottle (8 oz.) wholegrain soy sauce*
¾ cup canned Coco Rico coconut soda* (open and set aside for half an hour)
2 Tablespoons creamy peanut butter
* Available in Asian markets
Soya bean curd sauce:
1. Preheat a medium saucepan on medium heat and add in the olive oil. Stir-fry the minced lemongrass until partially golden. Add the crushed pineapple and stir quickly. Shake up the bottle of wholegrain soy sauce and pour into a saucepan.
2. Turn to high heat to bring the sauce to a boil. Then lower heat and add in the Coco coconut juice. Bring to a boil again. Add the peanut butter and stir well. Remove from heat and let cool. Add the fresh sliced chili peppers to make it tastier. Baking the vegetarian fish:
1. Preheat the oven to 400° F for 10 minutes. Coat the vegetarian fish with the soft butter or margarine and place it onto a baking dish. Put in the oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
2. Place the baked veggie fish on a plate and sprinkle the crushed peanuts on top. Spring roll wrapper:
Dip the spring roll wrapper into warm water, and place on a big plate.
Wrap the vegetarian fish, the lettuce leaves, and the fresh herbs with the spring roll wrapper. Dip into the soya bean curd sauce for zesty flavor.